Happy holidays to all of you and welcome to our first monthly newsletter. We are starting a six-month trial where we send out a monthly newsletter. The goal of the newsletter is to keep you up to date on any major changes in our practice and to use it as a mode of communicating important messages on health-related topics. Feel free to give us your feedback as desired.
Topic #1 — INSURANCE CONTRACTING
We are now contracted with Anthem Blue Cross and expect to be in contract with Blue Shield in the very near future. This is a change that will benefit our patients with these insurance providers. For more information on how it will affect you, please call our office manager, Gretchen, at (707) 938-1255.
Topic #2 — FLU SEASON
What are the best ways to prevent the flu?
1) Get the flu shot — this is the #1 thing you can do to prevent the flu!
2) Wash your hands (a lot!). Use soap and water and wash well.
3) Use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
4) Avoid exposure to infected individuals. For example, avoid shaking hands.
5) Keep your surroundings clean. For example, sanitize surfaces frequently touched by other people in your surroundings.
Call our office (707-938-1255) or go to your local pharmacy to receive your flu shot! I encourage everyone to do this now!
For more information on the flu, visit the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/flu/index
Topic #3 — KEEP WEIGHT STABLE DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON
Why is it important to avoid the weight gain often seen during the holiday season?
Adults gain an average of one pound between mid-November and mid-January. This may not seem like a lot, but most people don’t lose the weight they gain over the holidays. For this reason, holiday weight gain is one of the biggest contributors to total yearly weight gain for most people.
This leads to the obvious question, what can we do to prevent weight gain during the holiday season?
1) Be active with family and friends.
2) Be smart when snacking.
3) Watch your portion sizes.
4) Practice mindful eating.
5) Get plenty of sleep.
6) Control your stress levels.
7) Keep meals balanced with protein.
8) Focus on fiber.
9) Keep the amount of alcohol in check.
Happy Holidays from Dr. Guy, Gretchen and Becca!
“A Care Beyond”