Here are the current CDC recommendations regarding the COVID vaccine booster.
I am currently recommending an extra COVID shot for all patients that are moderately to severely immunocompromised.
This includes the following people:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicines to suppress your immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress your immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV/AIDS
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (i.e. — Prednisone, Dexamethasone) or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
The BOOSTER shot is readily available at our local pharmacies; we are NOT administering it in our office.
The COVID-19 vaccines prevent 75-85% of symptomatic infections after exposure to the Delta variant. The majority of fully-vaccinated patients who do have a “breakthrough” case of COVID experience almost all mild symptoms being in the upper respiratory tract (nose). The vaccines prevent 90-98% of hospitalizations and deaths (because they provide such robust immunity in the lower respiratory tract, the lungs). And the vaccines reduce transmission of the Delta variant dramatically!
To obtain formal DIGITAL proof of COVID-19 vaccination record, hit the link and follow the instructions.
I urge everyone to maintain vigilance and good, safe practices — social distancing, hand washing, mask wearing, and safe social gathering.